Library Hours:
Monday-Thursday 10-7
Friday-Saturday 10-5
Sunday 1-5

Contact Us


Learning Center Calendar

Library Learning Center

Located at 1256 Lawrence Street on the library campus, the Learning Center is used for library sponsored programs and events. Current partners include Clemente Course in the Humanities, CoLab and the Woman in Transition and Transition Yourself job programs. On-going library programs include sponsored book and poetry groups and an array of adult, teen and children's programs. Check the calendar for a complete listing.

PoliciesLLC Large Room
General Use Guidelines
Download PDF Version
Kitchen Guidelines
Media Guidelines
History of Learning Center
Learning Center Room Images
Construction Images


There are two meeting rooms at the Library Learning Center located next to the Port Townsend Public Library at 1256 Lawrence St. The Large meeting room holds 30 people, has 4 tables, chairs, and a large screen. Media equipment is available. The Small meeting room holds 12 people and has 2 tables and chairs. There is a support kitchen with coffeepots, tea kettle, microwave, and refrigerator. Limited cups and silver are also in the kitchen.
Groups wishing to use the library meeting room must be sponsored, cosponsored, or approved by the library and should reflect the library mission statement. For example we have book groups, a poetry group, a writing group, and career and grant research workshops. 

In general, reservations shall be limited to one per month per group.

No admission charge may be made nor collection taken, or articles sold with the exception of Library sponsored events.

Groups may bring in light refreshments. See kitchen guidelines.

The library reserves the right to cancel use of the meeting rooms. Permission to use the meeting rooms may be denied if the guidelines are not followed.

Library programs have priority to reserve the space. Requests for use of the meeting rooms may be made up to six months in advance to the Adult Services Librarian, Cris Wilson. Please contact her at

Back to top

Learning Center Guidelines

Move the Tables in a Safe Manner
Disengage the levers under the table and tilt the table top into the upright position. Make sure the wheel brakes have been released before moving the tables. Once the tables are in position, lock the wheel brakes, return the table top to a level position, and reengage the levers.

In the event of any spills or accidents, there are cleaning supplies underneath the sink in the kitchen. Please clean up any spills. If you think that there may be permanent staining, please inform the library staff.

Back to top

Library Learning Center Kitchen Guidelines

 Cleaning Supplies are located under the sink.

Cleaning Supplies Inventory:

1 roll of paper towels
1 dish sponge
1 bottle of dishwashing soap
1 bottle of carpet spotter and carpet sponges
1 bottle of all-purpose cleaner
1 vacuum
1 broom and dustpan
1 mop and bucket

Please report any problems or spills that require professional cleaning to library staff. We thank you for your help in maintaining this free library space.

Back to top

Library Learning Center Media Guidelines

Please notify staff 48hrs. prior to meeting if training is needed for media equipment.
Please return media equipment to cabinet in small meeting room.
If any media equipment is not functioning or missing please notify the library staff.

Media Cabinet Inventory:
1 projector cart with clipboard instructions
1 Boxlight digital projector with cable
1 laptop computer, mouse, and remote
1 pair black speakers for computer
1 pair large grey speakers for amplifier
1 amplifier, in case
Cables for large speaker and amp
2 tripods for large speakers
2 microphones
1 microphone stand
1 chart easel

Back to top

History of the Learning Center

The Charles Pink house is a unique asset for the library. Built in 1868, in the Late Greek Revival style of architecture, it is one of the last remaining houses from that age and in that style remaining in the state. Built by Horace Tucker, who is known for building many of the oldest houses in Port Townsend, the house was purchased by Charles Pink in 1874.  The house remained in the Pink family for the next 92 years. In the late 1880s, the Pink family expanded the house, rebuilding the porch and adding Victorian Style bays. Near the turn of the 20th century, the house was once again renovated, with the original pillars and front doors replaced by substitutes in the style of the Arts and Crafts movement that was popular at the time. While these changes made the Pink House a unique microcosm of the architectural preferences of the Port Townsend community in the mid to late 19th century, it also made it difficult to recognize it as an example of a specific style, which contributed to the building’s neglect for the better part of the latter half of the 20th century.

The City of Port Townsend purchased the Pink House in 1981 for the purpose of serving as an expansion to the adjacent Carnegie Library. In difficult economic times, the city lacked the funds to rebuild the dilapidated structure. In exchange for a complete restoration of the building, the city gave a long term lease on the building to Little and Little construction. After the massive renovation, the building was leased out until 2003. When the lease expired the city took control of the building back. It then served as the administrative house for the local fire department. The library took ownership in 2007 and now uses the building to supplement the Carnegie building with meeting, program, and office space.

The building has been listed as a secondary building in the Port Townsend National Historic Landmark district. A secondary ranking indicates a building with moderate historical or architectural qualities which have maintained good integrity. The Port Townsend Library is pleased to be part of the stewardship of this house.

Back to top